11 September, 2009

Elul, Rosh Hashana, and Quitting Smoking

My goal for Elul is to stop smoking before Rosh Hashana once I finished the carton from Europe I'd bought at the duty-free. I gave a couple packs away, and countless other cigarettes so I'd make it easier on myself. This morning I smoked my last cigarette and now I'm officially going to quit. No more wasting money on future emphysema. It's time for health!

One of the reasons I quit (besides getting healthy and it being the right thing to do) is so I can go on the pill to control my periods. I've heard the pill can help ease the discomfort, and I would like to give it a shot.

Because I know someone who died from complications of smoking on the pill, I always told myself I would never take it unless I was truly committed to being a non-smoker. So here I am.

That being said, I really do not want to gain a whole bunch of weight and blimp out while taking the pill, so I'm going to use my simultaneous quitting smoking to take on a fitness regimen. There was a time when I used to be in fairly good shape, having been an athlete and I'd like to get back into it.

So whenever I crave a smoke, I'm going to go for a run instead of reaching for food.

Thanks to a certain special person who has given me tonnes of support and encouragement in my recent quitting of a couple vices. Love you.

And what better day to celebrate life than to remember those lost on September 11, 2001. You are all in my prayers.

Shabbat Shalom!!!

No comments:

Followers