26 February, 2010

BDH, Baba

My grandmother and last surviving grandparent passed away this week. She wasn't Jewish, and there's a Romanian Orthodox Christian funeral for her this weekend. I've agreed to break Shabbat to honour my father's wishes, since he wants me to be one of the pallbearers. He said he doesn't care if it is tradition to have only men do it, he wants my sister and I to partake. It's not like I'm going to say no.

While I agreed to break Shabbat, I'm still going to try and keep it to a minimum. I'm frantically cooking simple dishes that can be eaten tepid or cold so we don't have to worry about making food after the viewing tonight.

My parents have done a lot to accommodate my having become a baal teshuva, so I think the least I can do is accommodate my orphaned father.

Well, I have to go finish cooking and then get ready. I think it's safe to say I'll be sitting out of the Purim festivities again this year.

Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Followers